Inspiration Award Scholarship Announcement
Application deadline: March 31st
In order to promote participation in the prevention of use and misuse of drugs, alcohol, tobacco and all other substances and to encourage civic involvement, the Agency for Substance Abuse Policy (ASAP) Board of Anderson County is offering two $2,000 scholarships to qualified senior candidates from local schools and/or non-traditional college or vocational students, who are residents of Anderson County.
One scholarship award will be given to a female student and one to a male student. These scholarship awards will be presented to students who have faced and overcome obstacles related to drug use and/or addiction in her/his family or personal life.
Award recipients will be selected using the following criteria:
- Applicants may apply who are either meeting requirements for current school year graduation from a high school located in Anderson County or be enrolled as a non-traditional student in college or vocational school.
- Scholarship award will be in the amount of $2,000 and will be paid to an institution of higher learning. (Scholarships will depend upon ASAP funds being made available through the Kentucky Office of Drug Control Policy).
- For graduating high school students, an ASAP scholarship application form and a high school transcript or equivalency is required. Application forms can be obtained from Anderson County High School guidance counselors, from web site of ASAP Board of Anderson County, or by contacting the ASAP Board Coordinator.
- For non-traditional college or vocational school students, an ASAP scholarship application form and a school transcript is required. Application forms can be obtained from Anderson Community Education Office or by contacting the ASAP Board Coordinator.
- An essay is required from every applicant on her/his experience(s) with overcoming obstacles related to drug use and/or addiction in family or personal life.
- One letter of recommendation from a non-relative adult, whom can verify skills and activities set forth in the application, is required with an application. Examples: adult mentor, teacher, coach, pastor, or supervisor/employer.
- Selection of the two scholarship winners will be based on combination of factors including: academic achievement, potential for higher education success, community activities, and essay quality.
- In all matters, the Scholarship Committee shall have final discretion in interpretation of guidelines for selecting and awarding of scholarships.
Instructions and technical requirements for writing essay & submitting application:
Write a one (1) page essay on the topic “Inspiration from Overcoming Use or Addiction to Alcohol and/or Drugs”
Essay should address each of the following questions:
- What challenge(s) have you faced or dealt with related to drug or alcohol use or addiction by a family member or yourself?
- How were you or the person involved with drug or alcoohol able to overcome the challenge(s)/obstacle(s)?
- How will you use that life experience(s) to positively impact the lives of others suffering from drug or alcohol use or addiction?
Technical Requirements for Essay:
- Must be typed
- 1 page with approximately 200 words
- 12 point font
- 5 inch space between lines
- 1 inch margins on all sides
Application and essay are due no later than March 31.
Downloadable application form: ASAP-ScholarshipApplForm
Please return completed application and essay to:
ASAP Board of Anderson County
P.O. Box 152
Lawrenceburg, KY 40342